An extraordinary discussion led by BT around the implications surrounding the mainstreaming and commercialization of dance music. One conference delegate questioned the push for greater exposure for electronic dance music and DJ culture, wondering why we seek greater exposure when our audience is perfectly content keeping the music for themselves.
There has always been a push for greater access to the mainstream by underground artists, but those artists may get co-opted in the process, leaving them without the recognition due for their genius and musicianship, while enriching others on the mainstreaming of their work.
BT says, “People knowing it, doesn’t make it bad.” But, he validated the delegate’s question with a very distinct viewpoint on the issue. “Why can we acknowledge that guy that made the record” right now?, before it’s “saturation” into the mainstream.
Sharam points out that it may be someone’s dream to win a Grammy for their work, so why not push for that type of accesibility in the same way others have in the past, with the realization that with mainstreaming comes a trade-off, and there is little control over music once it leaves an artist’s studio.
I really enjoyed this discussion and think it’s one of the finer moments in Winter Music Conference history.
- Radio Station 2.3.1 Now Available for Download - May 14, 2020
- New! List Your Broadcast or Online Radio Station in the Netmix Radio Station Directory - May 6, 2020
- Radio Station 2.3.0 Pre-Release Announcement - March 2, 2020
- News about the upcoming release of Radio Station 2.3.0 - January 13, 2020
- Netmix Global House Sessions Podcast Episode 19 - December 22, 2019
- New Show Page Layout & JetPack Compatibility Coming in 2.3.0 - November 7, 2019
- Radio Station 2.2.8 - October 6, 2019
- Radio Station Plugin and Page Builders - September 26, 2019
- Netmix Global House Sessions Podcast Episode 18 - September 21, 2019
- Radio Station v. 2.2.7 - August 31, 2019