Last night, I’m at the Disco 3000 party at Ben’s Tune-Up in Asheville. I discovered this party online. When I moved to Asheville on January 28th of this year, I immediately started looking for the house music spots. At first, I didn’t find much. But after digging a bit deeper, I stumbled upon Nighttimeswerve aka Adam Thome who is a member of the Earthtone Sound System crew with Josh Hughey. They’ve created for themselves quite a following as Earthtone Sound System, which was born in Atlanta, but has since relocated to Asheville. Along with DJ Trevor Baker, they created the Disco 3000 party, which currently occupies the outdoor space at Ben’s Tune-Up, a local Asheville restaurant/bar, weather permitting. On cold or rainy nights, they bring it indoors.
ETSS and Trevor are focused on playing a blend of indie dance, nu disco, breaks, house and tech house. It’s really about whatever is funky and gets the crowd going. They vibe off each other and switch off, preferring blending with Serato then using Traktor with the dreaded sync button (which I actually do rely on – I have no shame!). They surely had a dance floor moving last night. Now, I’m a sucker for these emo style house and tech house songs that feature singer/songwriters, rock vocalists or unexpected soul samples. So, to close out the night, Trevor ran this amazing song “So Good To Me” by New Jersey’s Chris Malinchak, which samples “If This World Were Mine” by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell. The song went to number 2 in the U.K.
I was in the middle of a conversation with Adam when Trevor dropped eased out of the current track and brought this one in. I immediately cut-off Adam (sorry, dude!) and said, “what the f*** is this?” It was beautiful, but then again, anything that brings a deep house sound together with the legendary vocals of Marvin Gaye and Temmi Terrell should stop a conversation dead in its tracks. And, that’s what it did. So, without further adieu, here is the SoundCloud and official YouTube video below for your listening enjoyment.
If you’re looking for a hot remix, check out MK’s reworking of this instant classic. I love both versions. Depending on the vibe of the party, you can rock either one and get a groove going.
- 126.96.36.199 Bugfix Now Available for Download - August 3, 2020
- 188.8.131.52 Bugfix Now Available for Download - July 24, 2020
- Radio Station 2.3.1 Now Available for Download - May 14, 2020
- New! List Your Broadcast or Online Radio Station in the Netmix Radio Station Directory - May 6, 2020
- Radio Station 2.3.0 Pre-Release Announcement - March 2, 2020
- News about the upcoming release of Radio Station 2.3.0 - January 13, 2020
- Netmix Global House Sessions Podcast Episode 19 - December 22, 2019
- New Show Page Layout & JetPack Compatibility Coming in 2.3.0 - November 7, 2019
- Radio Station 2.2.8 - October 6, 2019
- Radio Station Plugin and Page Builders - September 26, 2019